Getting ready to move out? Cleaning up properly is important as you prepare for a move-out inspection; and it can help with the prompt return of your security deposit without damage fees. Here are some useful tips:
1. Wash the walls and windows throughout the space. Remove all staples and nails from walls, ceilings, or doors. Using a cleaning cloth or magic eraser to remove all visible scuff marks.
2. Clean the kitchen. Start with the appliances and clean them inside out (refrigerator, microwave, oven, etc.). Clean the cabinets, light fixtures, all surfaces, sinks and floor. Spend some time and use some elbow grease; it will pay off in the long run.
3. Clean bathrooms. Thoroughly clean the sink, tub, toilet and shower. Wipe down faucets, mirrors, medicine cabinet and all vents or light fixtures. Sweep and mop the floors.
4. Clean the bedrooms, living room and other common rooms. Wipe down shelves and clean any mirrors. Dust ceiling fans and/or any light fixtures. Replace all burnt out light bulbs. Treat carpet stains and then vacuum the carpet. Wooden or tile floors can be mopped or hand-washed.
5. Sweep and clean any exterior spaces including the balcony & patio areas.
6. Remove all garbage and dispose of it properly.
7. Take photos once you’re finished and keep them for your records. You can send them along with a description to the property manager for sign off, or present them at your inspection. Return your keys.
It’s that simple. Best of luck on moving to your new home!