Memories of crisp fall days, warm, fragrant kitchens and lovingly made family meals all wrapped up in one classic dessert. From the scrumptious filling to the flaky pastry crust, here’s a simple apple pie recipe that you and your family will love making and eating!
• 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (2-1/4 lb/ 1. 12 kg)
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
• 3/4 cups shortening
• 3 tablespoons butter softened
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 cup Ice water
• Preheat Heat oven to 425ºF.
• Prepare Double-Crust Pastry :
· Place the flour, salt, shortening and butter in a large bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, crush the butter until it forms tiny balls with the flour.
· Then slowly add the water. Knead with floured hands until a large dough ball forms. Split the ball in half and wrap in plastic wrap.
· Place the wrapped dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
· On a floured counter-top, begin to roll the dough out into a circle shape about 2 inches (5.1 cm) larger in diameter than the pie pan.
· Slowly lift the flattened dough off the counter-top by wrapping it completely around the rolling pin. Unroll the dough over the pan, being careful not to let it tear. Fit it into the pan, pressing it against all the sides. Cut off the overhanging edges. Leave about 1⁄4 inch (0.6 cm) of extra dough over the pie pan. Place the pie shell in the refrigerator.
• Make the Filling: In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Stir together sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss until coated. Scrape into pie shell. Brush pastry rim with water.
• Make the Top Crust (lattice top): Roll out remaining dough. Cut the rolled out dough into as many 1" wide strips as it will yield. Place the pastry strips across the top of the apples in a criss-cross pattern, then weave them together to create a lattice effect. Cut off the overhanging excess pastry and press the edges down into the rim.
• Whisk yolk with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake in bottom third of 425F (220C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F (180C); bake for 40 minutes or until golden, filling is bubbly and apples are soft when pierced with knife through vent. Let cool on rack.